Why can’t a mother provide milk for her own baby?admin
There are many reasons for a mother to be unable to meet her baby’s needs,
- Mothers who have had premature babies usually face lactation issues initially.
- A mother may be pumping for twins or triplets and not an adequate supply.
- The stress of having a hospitalized, ill infant whom she cannot hold or directly nurse can affect milk production.
- A mother may require medications that could pass into breast milk and be harmful to the infant.
- A chronic infection such as HIV or HTLV or another medical condition can preclude a mother from breastfeeding.
- A breast infection can temporarily affect a mother’s milk production.
- A mother may be in ICU due to complications of delivery while the baby is in the NICU.